Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Oil Painting with Young Masters

I've been teaching some kids every Saturday, for two hours, how to paint. I have in my class a thirteen year old, a twelve year old, a ten year old and an eight year old, all willing to go through my experiment of teaching them how to paint with oil paint. Classes are free of charge. I bugged some parents to "lend" me their children for four Saturdays, so that I can practice my teaching skills.


Experiment number 8: Oil Painting for Kids

You will need: An easel (I got mine from Ikea), Marie's Water Mixable Oil Colour Studio Set, paint brushes, a canvass
(all from Art Friend).

I showed the kids works by some famous painters. I also demonstrated a few techniques on blending colours and how oil paint behaves differently from other media. After a brief intro to painting, I was amazed after 2 hours. First, I thought they would use 1 canvass for all our 4 sessions. And second, I was honestly impressed with what they painted.

Carolina, 8, painted a volcano (this was the same week of the volcanic eruption in Indonesia). She thought about the light source and mixed her own colours.



Claudia, 13, had music on her mind.
She was singing throughout most of the session.


Kaylee, 12, is a sponge and absorbed everything I said-
how to blend paint and how to apply paint on the canvass.
This is what she did. Isn't it wonderful?


Coby, 11, is a gem. He knew what to paint,
how to paint it and stayed focused until he finished his work.



I was a bit disturbed with the "acid-was-poured-on-the-eyes-effect"
he tried to achieve, plus, the anarchy sign on the t-shirt.

After a few hours of nonsense thoughts,
I decided to stop analyzing his work and just
appreciate it. It's pretty good, right?!


I'm so proud of them! :D